Sunday 15 May 2016

Progress Update 15/05/16

Today's progress update is going to be short and to the point.

I've barely been able to put any time into SSME this week as I had to take on more freelance work than usual to cover bills, though I have planned out some of the next version updates and what I intend to do with them.

In addition I have spoken to a programmer friend of mine and he may be interested in helping out here and there with the core engine, so once I get him up to speed on the codebase that may accelerate things.

So in order, here are the versions I've got planned out so far:

Version 0.4 Alpha
This will see the completion of the regiment creation system, as well as traits/flaws, resources and some basic systems implemented that relate directly to regiment creation. ETA: 1 Week

Version 0.5 Alpha
This version will see the implementation of fleets and fleet movement. This will necessitate the implementation of loading and unload armies into ships and some additional node (star/island/etc) interface options to select and view fleets in orbit/docked/etc. ETA: 2-4 Weeks

Version 0.6 Alpha
At this point we can begin to see the core elements of a playable game coming together. This version will include recruitment, resource gathering and expenditure, equipment as a resource-dependent system that can be bought, sold and have limited supplies. This version will also include a basic combat systems for fleet engagements and army engagements. ETA: 5-6 Weeks

Version 0.7 Alpha
This is about as far as my planning goes, but it will involve a simple diplomacy system to interact with AI factions, as well as the core components of an AI system - events, different factions, generating factions on the map at game start and so forth. At this point I expect the game to be pretty much playable, albeit basic. ETA: 7-10 Weeks

These estimates are based on my current rate of progress, so are variable depending on workload, financial concerns and family related matters. Similarly if my friend helps me out on a lot of it, then it'll go faster, or if I hit a vein of inspiration and code for several days straight in my free time, it'll go faster too. But the estimates should hold roughly true.

That's all for now,
Peace out

1 comment: